13 February 2009

Valentines Day...

Despite the fact that I think Valentines Day is a rather ridiculous commercial holiday. I'm not one who wears black on Valentines day just to spite people...actually, today is a day that I specifically try not to wear black. I had planned a Lord of the Rings marathon for today, but that got interrupted when someone put Gone with the Wind in, and I remembered what an Amazing movie it is...though not the happiest love story, it's still a favorite! So here is a post related to some of my favorite movies, that give every woman unrealistic expectations on love...which in the end is probably why people spend so much money on Valentines day!
Stardust..."You know when I said I knew little about love? That wasn't true. I know a lot about love. I've seen it. I've seen centuries and centuries of it, and it was the only thing that made watching your world bearable. All those wars. Pain and lies. Hate... It made me want to turn away and never look down again. But to see the way that mankind loves... You could search to the furthest reaches of the universe and never find anything more beautiful. So yes, I know that love is unconditional. But I also know it can be unpredictable, unexpected, uncontrollable, unbearable and strangely easy to mistake for loathing, and... What I'm trying to say, Tristan, is... I think I love you. My heart... It feels like my chest can barely contain it. Like it doesn't belong to me any more. It belongs to you. And if you wanted it, I'd wish for nothing in exchange. No gifts. No goods. No demonstrations of devotion. Nothing but knowing you loved me too. Just your heart, in exchange for mine."--Yvaine

Spider-Man..."I said, um, Spider-man, I said, uh, the great thing about M.J. is when you look in her eyes, and she's looking back in yours, everything feels not quite normal, because you feel stronger, and weaker at the same time. You feel excited, and at the same time, terrified. The truth is you don't know what you feel, except you know what kind of man you want to be. It's as if you've reached the unreachable, and you weren't ready for it."--Peter Parker


Anne of Avonlea...
"Anne, I've loved you as long as I can remember. I need you."--Gilbert Blythe

"I don't want sunburst or marble halls, I just want you!"--Anne Shirley

Dear Frankie...
"He's got your eyes. They... pull you right in."
"You don't have to say nice things to me. I'm not paying you for that."
"So why don't you want to hear them?"--The Stranger and Lizzy

The Princess Bride...
"As You Wish!"--Wesley

Becoming Jane... "I am yours, heart and soul. Much good that is."--Tom LeFroy

Pride & Prejudice...
"You must know... surely, you must know it was all for you. You are too generous to trifle with me. I believe you spoke with my aunt last night, and it has taught me to hope as I'd scarcely allowed myself before. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes have not changed, but one word from you will silence me forever. If, however, your feelings have changed, I will have to tell you: you have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love, I love, I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on."--Mr. Darcy

Emma...
"I do not wish to call you my friend, because I hoped to call you something infinitely more dear...I rode through the rain, but I'd ride through worse if I could just hear your voice telling me that I might at least have some chance to win you...Marry me. Marry me, my wonderful, darling friend."--Mr. Knightley

Penelope...
"I couldn't give her what she wanted."
"What did she want?"
"To be free"--Johnny and Penelope

Bridget Jones Diary... "I don't think you're an idiot at all. I mean, there are elements of the ridiculous about you. Your mother's pretty interesting. And you really are an appallingly bad public speaker. And, um, you tend to let whatever's in your head come out of your mouth without much consideration of the consequences... But the thing is, um, what I'm trying to say, very inarticulately, is that, um, in fact, perhaps despite appearances, I like you, very much. Just as you are."--Mark Darcy

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back... "Scoundrel? Scoundrel? I like the sound of that...You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life."--Hans Solo

Gone With the Wind... "No, I don't think I will kiss you. Although you need kissing badly. That's what's wrong with you. You should be kissed, and often, and by someone who knows how."--Rhett Butler

"I'm not asking you to forgive me. I'll never understand or forgive myself. And if a bullet gets me, so help me, I'll laugh at myself for being an idiot. There's one thing I do know... and that is that I love you, Scarlett. In spite of you and me and the whole silly world going to pieces around us, I love you. Because we're alike. Bad lots, both of us. Selfish and shrewd. But able to look things in the eyes as we call them by their right names...Scarlett! Look at me! I've loved you more than I've ever loved any woman and I've waited for you longer than I've ever waited for any woman...Here's a soldier of the South who loves you, Scarlett. Wants to feel your arms around him, wants to carry the memory of your kisses into battle with him. Never mind about loving me, you're a woman sending a soldier to his death with a beautiful memory. Scarlett! Kiss me! Kiss me...once..."--Rhett Butler

...Happy Valentines Day!!

2 comments:

Mal Mecham said...

It's official. You and I are the same person. :) I sure do love you Nevitt.

Malinda said...

It's true...I read your blog, and I think...hmmm, is this me?!? All you need to do is move to AZ and marry my brother!