08 May 2009

Star Treky...

I saw it! That's right to celebrate almost graduating…and by that I mean finally receiving my AA degree…I went and saw Star Trek after my BIO 100 final! That's right I did…don't tell Papa…and it was…AWESOME! Oh my goodness I do not have the vocabulary to describe how awesome this movie is!


I have not stopped smiling since the movie started! Yes, started! It was fascinating! And this might contain what some might call spoilers, so if you're really worried about it stop reading…go buy two tickets to go see it then pick me up and we will enjoy it together!...But this more than likely won't contain anything to spoil the movie for you, but it might so you have now been warned!

First off the cast is…well gorgeous! I mean you have Chris Pine as Captain Kirk, who won Anne Hathaway's heart in Princess Diaries 2 so I already love him. Even though I would have chosen the other guy in that movie. He is awesome in Star Trek…you kind of get distracted by his awesomeness in the movie, but that's the cocky character that we all came to love in Shatner. Kirk can be cocky be cause he's hot, smart and awesome…Way hotter than Shatner ever thought he was. Next you have Zachary Quinto as Spock! Who is very good looking and apparently on that Heroes show that I've never watched. But He's awesome! Spock was always my families favorite character! The other people on the show were all just trying to be as awesome as Spock. Which in this movie you can feel, but the cast in this Star Trek comes close to equaling his fascinating persona! Then you have Karl Urban as Doctor Leonard McCoy, and he was Eomer off of Lord of the Rings and one of the guys who tries to kill Jason Bourne. And he's just…hot! I never thought McCoy was in any way good looking, or any other of the original cast, but Urban represents what every Doctor should be…Drop dead gorgeous…with an accent! The rest are pretty awesome too, Simon Pegg as ScottyZoe Saldana as UhuraEric Bana as Nero…Jennifer Morrison and Winona Ryder also make appearances in the movie. But there was one character that steals the movie…

That's right Leonard Nimoy! And he's awesome! I seriously got chills when he said…Live long and prosper! Not to mention the last scene of the movie has Nimoy do the voice over of the Star Trek series motto…

Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise! Her ongoing mission: to explore new worlds, to seek out new life-forms and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before!

...It was just too cool! I've never considered myself a Treky. I use to watch Star Trek with Papa growing up and it was my first step toward Science Fiction Geekdom, but after I was introduced to Star Wars I just kind of gave Star Trek up. I cannot site Star Trek facts or repeat an absurd amount of lines from Star Trek movies the way I can Star Wars. I have a very general knowledge gleamed from my youth. But the last couple of weeks I have felt the desire to immerse myself in it start to seep into my bones. The knowledge that began my science fiction journey watching Kirk and Spock encounter aliens from different planets and then being beamed back up by Scotty started to invade my thoughts. And watching The Big Bang Theory has not helped in the least! Then last night Dallin and I watched the last half of Star Trek Nemesis…not a very good movie. So I thought that it might suppress some of these feelings. But no. After I finished my final today at 9:00…I knew…I was going to see Star Trek.

And it was totally wicked! J.J. Abrams does a remarkable job! I know a new generation of Trekies have been born! The special effects were incredible. Exactly what a good science fiction/fantasy movie need. Star Trek is the best movie I have seen in a long time! Not only were the special effects awesome, but the script was so full of…sarcasm and witticisms…I don't know if that is a word, but it was very witty! I found myself laughing through out the movie…but now that I think about it, not a lot of people laughed with me…but there are quite a few funny lines! Yet, sadly I have found that nothing quite makes my day as a good Science Fiction/Fantasy movie played on a huge screen with really awesome sound! It just does it for me…but it might also be the amount of caffeine I've had today, it was only 3 cans of Mountain Dew this morning but that is more than I have had in a while. So go see this movie! And if you do not want to go alone, I will gladly let you buy me a ticket!

1 comment:

Emilee said...

hu! i cant wait to see it. i have never seen the star trek, but i hear the movie is good even if you dont like it. and SYLAR is in it, oooh, scary!