04 October 2010

Reading gave me unrealistic expectations...Men!

Last month Uncle R and my cousin L asked me what I was looking for in a guy, I laughed and answered...an English accent! But then tonight as I put off reading more papers on Parzival I came across this quote again...


"As she chattered and laughed and cast quick glances into the house and the yard, her eyes fell on a stranger, standing alone in the hall, staring at her in a cool impertinent way that brought her up sharply with a mingled feeling of feminine pleasure that she had attracted a man and an embarrassed sensation that her dress was too low in the bosom. He looked quite old, at least thirty-five. He was a tall man and powerfully built. Scarlett thought she had never seen a man with such wide shoulders, so heavy with muscles, almost too heavy for gentility. When her eyes caught his, he smiled, showing animal-white teeth below a close clipped black moustache. He was dark of face, swarthy as a pirate, and his eyes were as bold and black as a pirate´s appraising a galleon to be scuttled or a maiden to be ravished. There was a cool recklessness in his face and a cynical humor in his mouth as he smiled at her, and Scarlett caught her breath. She felt that she should be insulted by such a look and was annoyed with herself because she did not feel insulted. She did not know who he could be, but there was undeniably a look of good blood in his face. It showed in the thin hawk nose over the full red lips, the high forehead and the wide-set eyes."--Margaret Mitchell, Gone with the Wind

...Now for you unfortunate people who have not read the actual book Gone with the Wind, you are missing out, because it is even better then the movie! And those of you who have not seen the movie...shame on you!...BTW don't you think Clark Gable was the perfect choice to play Rhett Butler?!...I cannot even count the number of times I've watched the movie...every time I stayed home for school when I was sick, when ever my Mother was sick, and a whole lot of just because times!


The quote is when Scarlett O'Hara first sees Rhett Butler. Doesn't it just make you smile and think...Holy Fetch that's a man, then where the heck did men like that go!! Just reading it again makes me go weak in the knees, which is a good thing I'm sitting down. But honestly when was the last time someone ravished you with their eyes! Now don't get me wrong I know exactly what kind of man Rhett Butler is, but honestly despite all his faults, I cannot help but love him...and Scarlett too...seriously I've always wanted to have kids named Rhett or Scarlett, but they aren't very good role models! I love the way Mitchell writes, I really need to reread this book! It's just a matter of when, cause I really do need to read more about Parzival! Dang school getting in the way of my enjoyable reading time!

1 comment:

IandS said...

Your Mom and I have discussed this a few times as we both have kids named after characters in GWTW. Mine is named after Mr. Butler...it's an awesome name as well as an awesome character. The other day we were at Costco and they have the movie for sale so I showed my son the picture on the front...he was NOT impressed LOL!!! 2 of his brothers have the same name as cartoon characters (Max and Felix) and in his eyes that is way cooler than some old movie/book.
Stacey Morgan