27 February 2012

The Venus Project.

In the Venus project, Anna Utopis Giodano an Italian artist gives some of the most famous pictures of the Venus, the goddess of love a modern make over...or the photoshop treatment! She takes these classic beauties and slims the waist and increases the...busts...in order to fit what today's beauty standards.


{Botticelli, La Nascita di Venere}

{Hayez, Venus}

{Tiziano, Venere di Urbino}

I for one thought this was absolutely fascinating. Not only does Giodano's work show how much societies perception of beauty has change, it also shows--to me at least--the sensuality that a...curvy figure had and still has. I'm not a fan of the you can see my ribs look. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Learn to be happy and feel beautiful no matter what you weigh, be that 90lbs or 200lbs. 

I for one am not the thinnest person around, but I am not going to let society tell me that because I'm not a size 7 I don't look good. I don't want to be a size 7--it's to much dang work and honestly I like food and I at least think I look good. If you don't like it, well that's your freaking loss--you're the one who has to get over it. 

As for me, I'm going to eat that slice of pizza and thirty minutes after that I'm going to go jump in the pool and the only thing I am going to worry about is coming out of the top of my swim suit when I dive in not what others think about me when they see me in a swim suit. So if society's ridiculous beauty standards are getting you down, what you probably need to do is come swimming with me--it might even make you feel better about yourself--just make sure you bring a pizza and maybe some Diet Coke!

No comments: