08 October 2012

Missionaries.

"Leave the saving of the world of the world to the men? I don't think so."-Brenda Parr a.k.a. Elastic Girl, The Incredibles


This last weekend was the LDS General Conference--and it was wonderful!! The biggest news to come out of the conference was the missionary age has been lowered to 18 for young men and 19 for young women! I was so excited when I heard this I almost cried!  The above quote is from the Incredibles and it has been one of my favorite quotes since the day I first watched the movie.


Being a missionary is amazing! I've always had a special place in my heart for Elders. I grew up on Papa's stories of his mission to Peru. I cannot remember a time when I wasn't going to serve a mission just like my Papa--like my Aunt ML, my Aunt L, and my Mema! Heroes come in many shapes and sizes but I've always been able to recognize mine--they wear name tags!


All young men in the LDS church are asked to serve missions, but it has always been an option for young women. That being said I will tell you that pretty much every Young Womans lesson was on Temple Marriage--now I know that's not completely true but it sure seemed like it. Sister missionaries--or as I will always refer to the cool ones, Hermanas--are different from the Elders. Don't get me wrong I don't think that they are more capable or get more baptisms--they are just different! Elder Holland says that they're "stunningly successful!"


Sometimes people just need a different approach and now the world will be able to see more of them as they are able to serve at 19. I'm so excited for the young women who will be able to serve missions two years earlier. One of the things I did when I turned 19 and all the guys I went to High School with were leaving was to make a count down--a two year count down! Serving a mission is the best is the best decision a person can make for their life! It was by far the best thing I have ever done and continues to be a daily blessing in my life!

No comments: